© Times-Herald photo by Lisa Goudy
The Moose Jaw Fire Department fights a house fire on Saturday.
By Lisa Goudy
Kevin Burtnick survived a house fire early Saturday morning because of his Calico cat, Lily.
“The cat woke me up and I got out with the cat and that’s about all I got out,” said Burtnick on Saturday. “(It was) kind of scary at the start anyway. It really hasn’t sunk in yet that the house is gone.”
The Moose Jaw Fire Department received a call that a house seven miles west of Moose Jaw had caught fire at 3:27 a.m. Saturday, according to Chris Christmann, the platoon commander at the fire department. The farmyard house’s main floor was engulfed in flames when firefighters arrived on scene around 3:45 a.m. Christmann said crews were on scene until 3 p.m.
“They had to call in a back hoe to know (the house) in,” said Christmann late Saturday. “(Upon arrival) they had to go into defensive mode immediately and so it would be total loss on the house.”
For more information, read an upcoming edition of the Times-Herald.