Moose Jaw Fire Department
Moose Jaw Police Service have received a preliminary examination coroner report relating to the house fire victim on River Street last October.
Annie Krogan, 48, died in a house fire at 275 River St. E. on Oct. 22. She was found unconscious in her home by the Moose Jaw Fire Department shortly before 5 a.m.
While she was transported to the Moose Jaw Union Hospital, attempts to revive her were unsuccessful.
“The conclusion of the preliminary examination is that smoke inhalation was the cause of death,” Sgt. Cliff Froehlich told the Times-Herald. “Further tests will be conducted to measure carbon-monoxide levels in the victims blood, so the investigation is still ongoing.”
Froehlich said this is just the initial coroner report and information is still being gathered by investigators who are working through the photo and physical evidence gathered at the scene of the fire.
According to Chief Garth Palmer and Fire Prevention Officer Mike Gorgichuk, Moose Jaw Fire Department were able to conclude the fire initially started in the basement and smoke and flames rose into Krogan’s bedroom.
“There were smoke alarms present on the main floor and basement, but as to whether they were in working order or not has yet to be determined,” Gorgichiuk said.
Emergency services received a call from a resident in the neighborhood, who reported smoke in the area. Fire crews arrived at 4:46 a.m. and found smoke billowing from Krogan’s residence.
“We just want to remind the public with the upcoming winter and holiday season approaching, we unfortunately see a lot of problems with extra heaters, extension cords and lights,” Froehlich added.
Palmer added due to the damage it is indeterminable to know if Krogan’s smoke alarms were in working order. “The heat damage caused in this situation rendered the devices inoperable, if the devices are situated away from a fire sometimes we can tell, but this wasn’t the case.”
For more on this article pick up the next issue of the Times-Herald.