Moose Jaw men over 19 years of age are encouraged to compete to be the next Mister Moose Jaw.
“It’ll be a fun event,” said Doris Dunphy, chairperson of Relay for Life. “It’s not a sexist thing or anything like that. It’s about having a good time, raising money for a good cause (the Canadian Cancer Society) and putting on a good show.”
The second annual event will take place on March 1 at 7:30 p.m. at the Mae Wilson Theatre. The registration deadline is Thursday. Dunphy said she would like to see between six and eight contestants and so far only one man has registered. She said other men have expressed interest in the competition but haven't returned the applications yet.
All funds raised will go toward the Relay for Life that supports the Canadian Cancer Society. Each contestant is asked to fundraise at least $250. Any people that pledge a donation of more than $20 is eligible for a tax receipt. Last year the event raised about $8,000.
She added eligible contestants are any Moose Jaw or surrounding area male residents over 19 years of age with no criminal record or charges pending. Previous contestants from last year’s competition, with the exception of last year’s winner Ray Francis, are eligible to compete again this year.
The contest includes five categories — eveningwear, swimwear, talent, speaking and interview or pop question. She said the tuxedos are provided for the eveningwear portion.
For more information, see Friday's edition of the Times-Herald.