Warriors rebound with win over Raiders

Katie Brickman
Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

Quinton Howden of the Moose Jaw Warriors in taken down by Prince Albert Raiders defenceman Josh Morrissey as he tries to take a shot on Raiders goaltender Luke Lee-Knight during Western Hockey League action on Saturday evening.


The Moose Jaw Warriors made a statement early that they were ready to play hard on Saturday evening against the Prince Albert Raiders after a lackluster performance on Friday evening in Saskatoon.

“We started really bad last night,” said captain Kendall McFaull. “We didn’t come out the way we wanted to and for it to be an important game, that was not how we needed to play. So it was huge to bounce back tonight.”

Quinton Howden opened the scoring early in the first period on the power play, putting a rebound past a sprawling Raiders goalie Luke Lee-Knight.

Howden would score his second of the period with another rebound goal to give the Warriors a two-goal lead.

The Raiders would tie the game early in the second period after Mike Winther scored on a 5-on-3 power play and Mark McNeill scored on a penalty shot.

Rookie goaltender Spencer Tremblay, who came into Friday night’s game in relief midway through the second period for Luke Siemens started his 15th game of the season and was strong in net, stopping 28 of 30 shots.

“He got a chance to play when Siemens had those games off and his confidence has just taken off,” said McFaull. “He is playing with a ton of confidence right now and he’s been better in practice. It’s just been an outstanding turnaround for him.”

Howden’s scored his 100th and 101st career goals in the game.

“It feels real good,” said Howden. “I’ve been in a bit of a slump, it’s definitely nice to have a night like this.”

For more on this story, read a future edition of the Times-Herald.

Organizations: Times-Herald

Geographic location: Saskatoon, Geneva

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page