Bantam Warriors come back just short

Katie Brickman
Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

Team from Littleton, Colo. visit area

Gage Johnson of the Littleton Hawks blocks a shot from Ahmed Ally of the Bantam AA Warriors during exhibition play on Saturday afternoon at Mosaic Place. Times-Herald photo by Katie Brickman

The Bantam AA Warriors had a bit of a different opponent on Saturday afternoon. Despite not having league action until the new year, the Warriors got some exhibition play in against a team that was approximately 15 hours away.

The Littleton Hawks travelled from Colorado to take part in five exhibition games with teams around the area. They had already played Weyburn and Yorkton prior to facing Moose Jaw. They are still slated to face Estevan and another game against Weyburn.

In a game that was physical and aggressive, the Hawks were able to hold on to the 7-6 victory.

“We got by on the skin of our teeth,” said Hawks assistant coach Eric Killam.

Neither team felt they came out strong in the first period as they tried to get a feel for their opponent’s style, but action was strong and entertaining for the remainder of the game.

The Hawks got on the board first with Johnny White scoring top corner stick side on starting goaltender Thomas Martineau. Ahmed Ally tied the game for the Warriors on the man advantage. White would add his second of the game in the dying seconds of the first period to give the Hawks a 2-0 lead after 20 minutes of play.

“We didn’t come out well in the first and the second wasn’t much better,” said Warriors assistant coach Duane Arndt.

Jeremy Bisson got the Warriors within one again with his full strength marker in the second period.

Penalties costs the Warriors in the second period as White got his third of the game early in the second frame on the power play. Jacob Morgan added the Hawks fourth goal during four-on-four action. As a Warrior was sitting in the box for a double minor head contact penalty, Sawyer Elliot and Matt Moscati scored less than a two minutes apart.

“I thought in the first period we came out a little slow. The boys capitalized on our opportunities in the second and we made the most of what we had,” stated Killam. The third period was ugly.”

The Warriors mounted a comeback in the third period — scoring four straight goals.

For more on this story, read an upcoming edition of the Times-Herald.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page