Generals edged by Mintos

Katie Brickman
Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

Squad sits tied for second with 10 games left

Tanner Burgardt makes a blocker save on Regan Nagy of the Moose Jaw Generals (right) as Rhett Gardner looks for the rebound in Midget AAA Hockey League action on Sunday afternoon at Mosaic Place. Times-Herald photo by Katie Brickman

For the first 40 minutes of the game, the Moose Jaw Generals looked primed to win their fourth game in a row. They were energized, working hard and keeping the first placed Prince Albert Mintos to just 10 shots. Unfortunately, missed opportunities and a disallowed goal saw the Mintos hold on for a 2-1 victory in Midget AAA Hockey League action on Sunday afternoon.

“We are very happy with the effort. I thought our guys deserved a better fate. For the majority of the game, we out-played them,” said Generals head coach Ray Wareham. “To hold the highest scoring team to 10 shots showed that we were obviously doing something right, but missed opportunities and a missed assignment on their first goal and then a tough break on the second one.”

Donovan Neuls scored the Generals lone goal late in the first period when he was left alone in the corner and walked to the front of the net and beat Mintos goaltender, Tanner Burgardt. The Mintos scored two goals in the second period to hold on for the win.

The Generals looked strong on the forecheck and were able to control the majority of the game. That physical and smart play in their zone allowed the Generals the ability to control the momentum of the game.

“I thought we did a really good job at not giving them the neutral zone and not letting them generate any speed through there. I thought we were real good, we played hard and we had lots of chances, but their guy made a lot of big saves when he had to,” said Wareham. “It is just a tough one to take right now.”

The Generals appeared to have scored with 31.9 seconds left in the game on a scramble in front of the crease. The play was called and the official signalled that a goal had been scored. However, the goal was never announced and both referees went to the Generals bench and explained that the goal was disallowed.

“It was a joke of an explanation, just like they were all game. He told me there was no way a kid is going to score from that angle. It is frustrating because if I say something he will give me a game misconduct and I’ll miss the next one,” stated Wareham.

For more on this story, read an upcoming edition of the Times-Herald.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page