Tornadoes and Cyclones off to semis

Katie Brickman
Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

Fish scores hat trick to lead Central past Vanier in quarter-final

Taylor Kell of Central jumps over a diving Nathalie Montpetit, keeper for Vanier as she tries to control the ball during high school girls soccer quarter-final action on Tuesday afternoon at Sunningdale Field. Times-Herald photo by Katie Brickman

Lindsay Fish has been playing soccer for Central for the last four years and the team had yet to make an appearance in a semifinal game. However, that all changed on Tuesday when she led the Cyclones to a 3-2 victory over the Vanier Spirits, scoring a hat trick.

With the victory, the Cyclones are headed to a semis match up against the top seeded Swift Current Ardens on Thursday (4 p.m., Sunningdale Field).

“It feels great. We’ve never been to semis since I’ve been in high school. So to get this one, it is amazing,” stated Fish.

Central had a couple of close chances, but couldn’t get anything past Vanier’s keeper Nathalie Montpetit.

Michaela Sykora got the Spirits on the board after a scramble in front of the net resulted in a loose ball that she was able to get a foot on it and past Central’s keeper.

“It is a tough loss. We had a very slow start,” said Amy Piche of Vanier. “We just didn’t mesh together.”

Fish hit the crossbar, but the ball bounced behind Montpetit to tie the game in the first half.

Early in the second half, Fish would score her second of the game on a rebound after Montpetit couldn’t fully get control of the ball and gave Central the lead.

After Vanier secured some solid pressure in Central’s defensive zone, Amanda Miller got the ball and quickly tried to shoot, but was fouled. Piche took the penalty shot and scored, tying the game once again.

“It definitely lit up the team and made us want it more,” said Piche of the goal. “It is good to see that we rallied, but we definitely could have done better.”

Fish commented on the penalty shot: “It made us want to win it even more because we didn’t want to lose off the penalty.”

Late in the game, Central’s Taylor Kell was a set up on a breakaway, but was stopped by Montpetit, who tried to bat the ball down, but Fish was able to score on the rebound for the victory.

In the other quarter-final match, Peacock defeated the Estevan Elecs to move on to the other semifinal against Weyburn on Thursday. The Elecs scored early to open the scoring, but the Tornadoes scored three goals in the first half and were able to storm back for the win.

“They scored first right off the get-go,” stated Sandi Hutchinson, head coach for Peacock. “It was a slow start for us, but we have come a long way this year.”

The plan for Weyburn will be to have a strong start and put pressure on their keeper and forwards and try to move the ball up the field.

For more on this story, read an upcoming edition of the Times-Herald.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page